Yukon Engineering Excellence Award
To recognize eminent Engineering achievements by Yukon Professional Engineers and to promote excellence in engineering applied to Yukon’s Northern climate and terrain in the areas of applied research, design, innovation, construction and project management the Yukon Engineering Excellence Award was established. The Awards Committee would like to invite you to submit a nomination for the annual award to recognize engineering achievements of our Members. We hope that in celebrating this award, we also are successful in raising the public’s awareness of the engineering profession in Yukon.
Nomination for Award
Nominations may be submitted by any member of APEY on or before January 17th. Nominations must be accompanied by sufficient background information and necessary documentation (a short description - 2 pages maximum) of the project/bio on the nominee accompanied by a 5 slide PowerPoint presentation). The project description and PowerPoint presentation should be delivered to the APEY office, attention: Executive Director or sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If more than a 2 page project bio and 5 slide PowerPoint presentation are submitted only the first two pages and 5 slides will be considered by the evaluation committee. The number of awards presented will be limited to one per year but an award will not necessarily be made every year.
Eligibility for Award
In making its recommendations for the Award, the Selection Committee will be guided but not bound by the following candidate requirements:
- Project must be located in Yukon;
- Nominated individual(s) must be registered as engineer(s) (in good standing) with the Association of Professional Engineers Yukon (APEY) and/or the nominated company must hold a permit to practice in Yukon and recognized work must be completed by a registered engineer(s) (in good standing) with APEY;
- Award will recognize achievements which were developed or carried out in Yukon and/or are pertinent to the Yukon; and,
- Preference will be given to projects substantially completed with the last 3 years.
The Awards Committee will oversee the temporary creation of an Evaluation Committee each year and will have the responsibility of reviewing all the nominations for the award to determine whether (or not) nominations meet the eligibility guidelines and whether or not an award will be given. The Evaluation Committee will review the nominations and submit its recommendations for the award to Council for approval.
Criteria for Selection
Consideration will be given to accomplishments within the engineering profession and to recognition earned. Nominations for this award will be rated primarily on the results of engineering applied to create unique Yukon and Northern solutions. The following criteria will be applied in the evaluation:
- Northern innovation/adaptation, services which enhance understanding of, and engineering in the northern climate
- Sustainability, services which make environmental consideration of and/or increase the sustainability of northern communities
- Service to the community including enhancement of community services
- Enhancement of the quality of life through engineering and other works
The award will consist of the following:
- Plaque with winning person/organization’s name and project title;
- Award presentation at AGM; and,
- Public announcement in local newspaper;